Teigarhorn, close to Djúpivogur, is known for remarkable geological formations and interesting history of industry and culture. Teigarhorn is a nature reserve, and part of it is a natural monument. There is year-round ranger at Teigarhorn, and development work in the area is being done in harmony with nature.
Teigarhorn is one of the most significant mining sites of zeolites in the world. Among the types of zeolite stones found at Teigarhorn are schoolite, stilbite, epistilbite, mordenite, laumontite and heulandite. There are also other minerals, such as seladonite, opal, chalcedony, rock crystal, calcite and Iceland spar. Zeolites from Teigarhorn have been used in various geological studies for more than 200 years. These include descriptions of crystal forms, chemical composition, internal structure of crystals and optics, some of which are among the first descriptions of the rocks in question. Samples from Teigarhorn were sold to museums around the world in the second half of the 18th century, but since 1976 the main mining places have been protected as natural monuments.
The beautiful old building, Weywadthús, at Teigarhorn, was built by Níels P.E. Weywadt in the years 1880-1882. He was a store manager in the Örum and Wulff store in Djúpivogur. Weywadthús has been part of the National Museum of Iceland since 1992. Níels’ daughter, Nicoline Weywadt, was the first Icelandic woman to study photography and operated a photography studio in Teigarhorn. Nicoline is also believed to have owned the first sewing machine in East Iceland.